Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dr. Seuss' birthday & The Lorax

Read-Aloud Books

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

When I read The Lorax, I make it interactive for the kids to engage them in the story. Pictured below are the props I use:
  • Fifteen cents
  • a nail (I could only find a screw today)
  • a plastic snail toy
  • a craft fluff
  • a fluffy scarf
  • a handful of beans

Before I begin reading the story I distribute the coins, nail, and snail to three or four volunteers in my audience. When the Once-ler demands payment, I hold out a pail and have the children place the payment into it. The craft fluff is my sample truffula tuft. If I have extras, I sometimes pass them out to the kids when they are described in the story. The kids will inevitably sniff them for the smell of fresh butterfly milk. The fluffy scarf becomes my Thneed which is great for gesturing with and demonstrating its uses as a hat, etc when it is described. The beans are handed out to the audience at the end of the story when the Once-ler gives "you" the last truffula seed and the responsibility of planting it.


Craft

Truffula Tree Forests
  • crayons
  • scissors
  • glue

No comments:

Post a Comment